Friday, April 1, 2011

5 minutes: favorite things

Today I'm linking up to Lisa-Jo aka gypsy mama, who chooses a topic every Friday and writes for five minutes.

Only five minutes.

And the rule is that whatever she writes about in that five minutes is what she posts. No editing her thoughts.

Today, her topic choice is "A few of my favorite things…"

So I'm going to set the timer, write some thoughts, and then I'm going to stop.

Ready? Set. Go.

::

"A few of my favorite things…"

Oh, please tell me you are all singing the song in your head right now… the strong voice of Julie Andrews that I pretended to have as I pretended to be her while singing along. We watched it every year, that and The Wizard of Oz, around the holidays. Dad said it was his favorite and he could listen to Edelweiss over and over.

He couldn't sing worth anything, but I think he imagined he could sing that song.

I'm not a person who is very good at picking favorites… I can never choose just one thing. I couldn't even choose a favorite stuffed animal when I was little [although Sugar the Bear really was at the top of the heap] because I was so afraid I'd hurt the feelings of the other stuffed menagerie that filled my bed. Favorites are hard when you assign emotions to even the most inanimate of objects.

My favorites now are still as plentiful. It's Riley laying his head on my arm and letting out a sigh of contentment, reminding me I am his only concern. It's the two rings of the phone before hanging up that Susie does to let me know she's calling and I should call her back if I feel well enough. It's the doorbell sound of the texting machine alerting me to a friend checking in, and the ding of the iPad saying another email from one of you is awaiting me when I'm ready.

It's Skyping with Shan so I can catch up with her in between Nie Nie telling me the latest and Yodi  displaying her missing tooth. It's Tyler standing outside my window so I can see his Taekwondo kick or Miss Anna crying to her mom that she feels like she belongs here at the condo and never wants to leave. It's a nephew emailing that he loves me around the world and back and it's my sister doing whatever it takes to make me feel like I'm a part of their world, no matter how far away they are.

It's the moments.

So, I guess I can choose. Moments are my favorite things. Moments can't be taken away or broken or replaced. They can only be given. Moments are now officially my favorite things.

I guess it just took a few moments of writing to figure that out. :)

blog comments powered by Disqus